Year 6: Mrs Andrews 2023 - 2024
Hello everyone and welcome to Year 6.
As we move into a our final year at primary school, we start to focus to get ourselves 'high school ready' by learning to be increasingly independent and organised. This includes remembering our homework and organising our own belongings and resources. The motto 'don't get stressed, just try your best', becomes so important as we move through this important next stage of our education
Our teachers Year 6, Mrs Andrews, Mrs Brougham, Mrs Gargan and Mrs Tarbuck (who cover our PPA) will help us to continue our love of learning- even when things get tough. Our learning assistants will continue to be an amazing support to us all.
In Autumn term, we will cover a lot of learning and experiences. In english, we will complete pieces of writing around the book 'Lost Happy Endings' by Carol Ann Duffy , amongst other writing stimuli. In guided reading, we will study ‘In Flanders Fields’ and 'Animal Farm'. In maths we will complete units on multiplication and division. In history,we will begin to learn about the Ancient Maya. In geography, we will begin to learn about Biomes / vegetation belts / map work. In PE we will learn swimming and martial arts. PSHE will focus on ‘Belonging’ and then ‘Respecting Ourselves and Others’. In science, we will continue with ‘Living Things and Their Habitats’.
All of this and not to mention, school, eco and sports council events and an Art week looking at the architect, Zaha Hadid.
We have a really busy term ahead!
Year 6 routines:
- PE Days: Wednesday (please leave kits in school) and Thursday we will be going swimming
- Please put names inside all clothing and shoes
- Children will take 2 reading books home- one is linked to their level of development and the other is a reading for pleasure book. Books can only be changed when they have been read and a parent has signed the planner. Please bring books in every day so that children can read in school and to an adult when appropriate.
- Please sign your child’s planner at the end of every week. This will be checked each Monday morning.
- Homework will be set as research questions and saved to the class webpage and when children log onto the homework section of spider
- Spellings will go home each Monday and will be assessed each Friday.
- Water bottles must be brought to school each day
- Healthy snack or toast for break time (toast paid for via parent pay)
- School gates open at 8:40 and playground door at 8:45. Registration is at 8:50am. When children arrive, they complete start of day activities (SODA) linked to their learning and to settle them into the day.
- Children do not need to bring their own pencil cases, pens, pencils etc as all resources are provided.
Files to Download
Year 6: Mrs Andrews: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display